Wednesday, October 14, 2009

My Brown Rice Jambalaya

I don't really care for white rice so I experimented with several recipes and came up with this. It's not traditional cajun jambalaya, but I like it. I usually make a pot of meat free red beans at the same time, and then use the jambalaya for the rice. This freezes and stores well.

Melt a stick of butter in large pot
Chop and saute in butter:
One onion
Green pepper
Several stalks of celery
Couple of cloves of garlic

After the vegs cook down some add:
One pound turkey sausage, sliced
One pound turkey or chicken

Add 3 cups brown rice and 4 cups water
Seasoning to taste, I use about 1/3 cup each of:
Worchestershire sauce
Louisiana Hot Sauce (Tabasco is hotter, don't use as much)
Then add some fresh ground pepper and some cajun seasoning, I use salt free.
Bring to boil, then reduce heat and cover till rice is done.

I don't over season when cooking, and add more at the table to taste.

Lot's of substitutions can be done, the only thing that has to stay the same is the rice to water ratio. More water will make it too soupy.

No comments:

Post a Comment